Insomnia Prediction: 2 to 4 sessions
If you are struggling with insomnia the good news is that our form of hypnotherapy has good outcomes with most forms. Our best advice is to seek medical help first. There may be physical issues that makes sleep more difficult and need to be addressed by a medical practitioner. It is important to check you do not have sleep apnoea which is a serious condition that can affect the quality of your sleep and your overall well-being.
How we treat will largely depend on the type of insomnia that you have. There are two main categories;
Primary – A person having sleep problems that are not linked to any other health issue.
Secondary – A person is having sleep problems due to something else like asthma, depression, anxiety etc.
Within these two groups there are various forms of Insomnia:
• Acute Insomnia – A brief episode of difficulty sleeping. Usually caused by a life event/trauma like a death or a new job and it often resolves without any treatment.
• Chronic Insomnia – A long term pattern of difficulty sleeping. It is usually considered chronic if a person has trouble falling asleep or staying asleep at least for 3 nights per week for 3 months or longer. Chronic Insomnia has many causes.
• Comorbid Insomnia – Occurs with another condition e.g. psychiatric symptoms such as Anxiety or Depression. Or Medical conditions e.g. arthritis or bad back pain may make it hard to sleep.
• Onset Insomnia – Difficulty falling asleep at the beginning of the night.
• Maintenance (middle) Insomnia – The inability to stay asleep. May wake during the night and find it difficult to get back to sleep.
Our approach will differ depending on which form of insomnia is the primary concern to you. As each person is treated individually, I will devise your treatment plan with you.